Deciding on the right blinds for a room can be a tricky but rewarding process. Once you have installed your window treatment, it is up to you to maintain and clean your blinds. However, different types of blinds require different kinds of cleaning procedures. We will walk you through Decorland’s two most commonly bought material types: Venetian blinds in aluminium and wood.
Venetian blinds need to be cleaned regularly so as to avoid a build-up of dirt. You should clean the dust off your aluminium blinds at least once every 2 weeks using our Micro Fibre Blind Cleaner. This does not, however, mean you don’t need to physically wash your blinds! Over time, your blinds will accumulate bacteria and dirt that cannot be cleaned with a blind duster, so it is advised that you physically hand wash your aluminium blinds at least once a year.
- When hand washing, be sure not to rub the slats as this will damage the stiffening of the slats.
- Allow them to drip dry!
- For treating markings like grease stains, use a diluted solution of dishwashing liquid and warm water.
- Avoid using abrasive cleaners, bleach-based products or ammonia-based products as they will damage the blinds.
Wooden blinds need to be treated like you would any other wooden product! The most important thing to note is don’t clean wooden blinds with water! This will weaken the blinds and make them lose their shape. To adequately clean the dust off your blinds, use your vacuum cleaner. Simply use the brush attachment and run the vacuum along the slats and if this is too much effort, try dusting regularly with a soft cloth. Avoid using wax on wooden blinds as this only traps dirt and does not solve the problem. Additionally, avoid using abrasive cleaners and bleach-based cleaning products as this will strip the wood of its colour.
Some General Notes
- Rather opt for plastic blinds in the bathroom and kitchen areas as the steam and humidity may corrode aluminium blinds.
- Divide your large windows into two sets of blinds rather than one big blind as larger blinds are often more difficult to clean and manipulate, especially if they are Venetian blinds.
Blinds are a practical means of beautifying your living space, but it is up to you to make sure they stay that way!